Plastic micro-beads are littering our oceans and waterways. Many of these tiny plastic beads are then consumed by animals and can lead to their death. Birds and fish alike think they are eating fish eggs when they eat plastic micro-beads. When an animal’s stomach is full of plastic, it cannot hold enough food to absorb the required nutrients it’s body needs.
I have a quick and easy solution to replace any store-bought facial exfoliants. You can probably find it right your own kitchen. Dried figs!! This is a zero-waste method of gently scrubbing away trapped dirt from your pores. Chamomile tea and milk are well-known natural skin brighteners.
All you will need is a dried fig and a small glass of cool chamomile tea or milk. If you do not have chamomile tea, you could substitute green tea which is full of anti-oxidants. You may even use water, if you have nothing else. I found dried figs at my local ethnic food grocery store. If you live in Orange County, head to Crown Valley Market on Center Drive at Marguerite Parkway. I found a pretty large package of dried figs there for about $3. I have never tried to use fresh figs. Fresh figs are very soft and they spoil quickly after they ripen. Dried figs may be easier to find year-round.
1. Make a cup of chamomile tea and let it cool in the fridge. I used loose organic chamomile flowers in a tea ball.
2. Cut your fig in half horizontally. You will see lots of tiny seeds inside of the fig.
3. Dip half of your fig in your cup of tea, or pour some tea onto the side with the exposed seeds.
4. Gently exfoliate your entire face with circular motions. You may need to pour more tea onto the fig if it starts to get dry or seems to be rubbing more paste onto your skin than tea.
5. Rinse your face with cool water. Then use the remaining tea as a final rinse.
6. Pat your face dry with a clean cloth.
7. Compost the used half of the fig.
That’s it!! Squeaky clean skin with zero waste!!! Yay!!
Let’s re-prioritize and stop giving companies that pollute our rivers/oceans our hard earned money! The easiest way to stand for what you believe in, is to vote with your wallet!! Each time you buy something, you are in some way supporting that company or corporation. Boycott brands with questionable ethics! You are in control of what you consume.
Would you like me to post more ways to wash your face using food from the kitchen in the future? I have many more tips on natural beauty!
Thanks for reading! Please feel free to share this with friends and family! Feel free to comment below 🙂